Sunday, November 30, 2014

The State of Education

Earlier this year my colleague and I had a conversation with a few of my husband's coworkers about the demands of the teaching profession. They were convinced that being a teacher was very "easy". As we sat comparing jobs, they failed to see the complexity of our profession. I am now beginning to understand why they are of this view.

Reminiscing on my early school years brings back fond memories of enjoying sing alongs, writing, reading, experimenting, playing games as a part of the learning process, and having fun especially during recess. I also enjoyed weekends which involved doing those things which I loved. School breaks were much anticipated because it was the time that you looked forward to spending with the extended family. I had loving and caring teachers for the most part who were passionate about teaching. They made teaching look easy. In my household the importance of education was stressed but I was never pressured to perform academically. These I believe are some of the reasons why one would think that "teaching is easy".

Presently, the education climate is different. Teaching has become more complicated. There is now increased pressure to perform for all stakeholders including teachers, students, and parents. 

As a parent of both first and second graders I can attest to the major differences in their experience and mine. There is not much "down" time for them. Most evenings after doing homework there is barely enough time to do family activities before bed. A week before thanksgiving my second grader was assigned two projects while the first grader had a book report, Technology, Science, and Social Studies homework for the Thanksgiving break. 

If this is the new trend for education, can we expect to see increased academic performance? Will our children develop a natural love for learning?

What do you think?

Have a Great Week!

Petreno






2 comments: