Sunday, November 9, 2014

How Do You Continue To Stay Motivated?

With all the changes that are happening around us it can become extremely difficult to remain focused and motivated. It becomes even more overwhelming when you are being expected to do the extraordinary. How do you continue to stay motivated?

Last week I found myself being pushed to the limit. In the midst of programming students, planning lessons, teaching classes, grading students' work, and preparing for parent teacher conference, I was asked to take on an additional task. As I left the building at the end of the day I smiled to myself thinking...."I must have done something right!" 

How do I stay focused and motivated without losing my mind?

After reading Dr. Robyn Jackson's articles on Overcoming Barriers to Student Motivation and 5 Powerful Ways to Stay Motivated During the "Fall Slump", I was better able to view my situation from an alternate perspective. According to Dr. Jackson, the "Fall Slump is when you've started the year with a ton of enthusiasm and and somewhere around the end of October, your enthusiasm and optimism begin to drop".  

She further went on to share some ways in which we can reclaim our motivation. These are:-

  1. Focus on what you can do right now.
  2. Focus on the root and not the symptoms.
  3. Find your tribe.
  4. Focus on getting better rather than being good.
  5. Take control.
In essence, staying motivated is a personal decision.

How do you continue to stay motivated?

Have a Great Week!

Petreno

No comments:

Post a Comment