Sunday, February 8, 2015

What Are You Willing To Do?

Last week we had our first faculty meeting for the Spring Semester. As I sat there, I was trying to figure out who would be the first to raise a legitimate concern that is impacting the instructional process. 

In approximately half an hour after the principal had discussed the data for the previous school year I got an answer. A teacher questioned the current procedure for addressing disruptive students. An example of a student being disruptive was proffered as well as how the teacher proceeded to manage the situation. While the teacher was articulating the problem there were a few teachers who gasped and whispered under their breath...."I don't have that problem!" Thus implying that it is the teacher's fault or simply classroom management issues. There were also those teachers who were experiencing the same problem who did not speak up in support of their colleague. 

We have all had those days when we have to deal with a disruptive student and sometimes there is need for immediate resolution or else the situation will impact the teaching/learning process. How then, do we move from it's not my problem but yours? How do we come together as a team to help each other? Ultimately, the instructional process must be preserved at all cost. Learning will simply not take place if there is disruption!

I was dismayed! Earlier that morning I read the article "Nine Reasons Teachers are Unwilling to Stand Up for Their Profession" by Nancy Flanagan in Education Week. She started off by quoting a teacher from Michigan:
"When I speak the truth in meetings about what is happening in public education, I am met with silence from my fellow teachers. It is the silence that is so maddening. I realize not everybody is as bold as me, but still—shouldn't the people working in this profession care about this profession? Beyond the four walls of their own classrooms? Am I crazy or what?" 
It is so amazing! I have often wondered why this is the case if we are all about impacting the lives of children. Ms. Flanagan gave some mind-boggling reasons for this including fear, "it could never happen here" syndrome, lack of information or misinformation, and teachers are too busy or distracted. How do we overcome these to move forward?

What are you willing to do for your students and colleagues?

Have a Fabulous Week!

Petreno


No comments:

Post a Comment